Monday, August 12, 2013

Poutini's House of Poutine, Queen Street West

1112 Queen Street West 
Toronto ON 
M6J 1H9 Canada
Poutine - Late Night

With so many Lebanese restaurants in Toronto, I have not seen a Snackpack on a menu nor does anyone understand what I'm on about! What is a Snackpack you ask me????! Only the greatest thing ever. Shaved beef/lamb topped with your choice of sauces (my favourites are garlic and chili sauce) on a bed of hot crispy chips with a generous helping of melted cheese across the top. So simple yet so incredible...

I bitterly accepted the fact that I will no longer be able to have that familiar toasty styrofoam box of my ideal Snackpack in my little hands for a long while and added this to my list of reasons of why Canada sucks.

Now, I'm sure all the Tumblr-ers out there have come across a picture of a Poutine one time or another. I didn't even know that it was one of Canada's delicacies! I have seen this chip, gravy and cheesy goodness pop-up multiple times on my Tumblr dashboard - examples - here, here and here.

I've wanted to try a good ol' Canadian Poutine since I landed. I went to Lakeview for my first Poutine experience ever. And it was terrible. I had a two month recovery period before I was willing to try another Poutine. 

For the past week, I've extensively been looking into the best Poutines in Toronto, and what makes a good Poutine? Squeaky curds and amazing gravy to match, I hear! I had two Poutineries by me - Poutini's House of Poutine and Smoke's Poutinerie. Both of high rating - I was particularly eyeballing the Bacon Cheeseburger from Smoke's (Yum!). A short walk down to Poutini's, my sister and I ordered a lil sum'in sum'in each.

I loved the feel, felt very... Canadian-y (giggles). They were also blasting hard techno music - I was just waiting for one of the two workers to break out into a hakken.

Their menu of Poutines, Fries, Frites and a heap of range of Sauces (And cutie forks!)

They have a few poutines, not as big a variety as Smoke's but, I think it's just enough considering that their gravy is amazing! Poutines of Vegan, Pulled Pork, Bacon and 'The Works' and in sizes of Regular ($7-10) and 'Teeny Weeny Tiny' ($5-7) (lol). Pricing here. The Bacon Poutine even had an option to add Maple Syrup! Oh, Canadians. 

Our hand-cut chips fried, cold cheese curds topped along with gravy and additional toppings for my The Works poutine of sour cream, bacon and chives sprinkled over.

1. Poutini’s Traditional Poutine ($4.99)
Served with Fresh Cheese Curds and Beef, Vegetarian or Gluten-Free Gravy
2. The Works Poutine ($6.85)
(Traditional Poutine, Sour Cream, Bacon and Chives)
My Poutine was simply my sister's poutine, with add-ons - so good! It smelt amazing! And tasted so good, it (nearly - I need a some garlic sauce) hit my longing snackpack spot! A wonderful combination of sour cream with the saltiness from the bacon and chips! They also gave a nice chip to curd/bacon ratio - it was perfect!

Look at those bacon pieces. The amount of fat, cooked perfectly! Generous helping of gravy throughout, too!

1. The wonderful, crispy hand-cut fries. Each fry was crunchy, even the ones already absorbed in the gravy for the past 20 minutes sitting at the bottom of my poutine!
2. I never had cheese curds before, so this was definitely exciting! 
It was chewy with a slight bounce! I loved how it was still slightly cold.

I guess, Canada doesn't need my all-time praised snackpack because they have this delicious poutine - which gives the same satisfaction, just without my beloved garlic sauce. The 'Teeny Weeny Tiny' was a perfect proportion for me! And just as always, like the feeling of finishing off a snackpack - I feel disgusting-ly full (but very happy).

Poutini's on Urbanspoon


  1. Oh my god, that looks so freaking good!!!!!

    1. You are missing out Soph! It was incredible. So many flavours. Oh my golly.